- Commercial Services
It feels like summer time! That means swimming pools, barbeques, beach trips and of course hot summer days ahead. Keep reading for some great tips to help keep your home cool this summer.
- Ceiling Fans: One important thing to remember is that ceiling fans cool people by creating a wind chill effect. Ceiling fans do not cool empty rooms so be sure to turn it off when you leave the room. Keep your ceiling fan running in a counter clockwise direction during the summer months.
- Light Bulbs: Use energy-efficient light bulbs instead of incandescent bulbs. ENERGY STAR lighting produces 70 to 90 percent less heat than incandescent bulbs.
- Filter: If it has been more than 3 months since you changed the filter on your air conditioner, do that now! Remember, the dirtier your air filter, the harder the system has to work to keep your home cool.
- Window Treatments: Curtains, shades, and blinds can all keep your home cool and lower your utility bills. Keep them closed on windows that receive direct sunlight.
- Window Awnings: Solar heat gain can be reduced on south and west facing windows by installing light colored window awnings. If you choose retractable awnings, in the winter you can roll them up to let the sun warm your house.
- Ventilation Fans: Use kitchen, bathroom and even laundry room fans to remove heat and humidity from these areas. Make sure the fans are vented to the outside, not just the attic.
- A/C Registers: Vacuum registers regularly to remove any dust buildup. Be sure furniture and other objects are not blocking the airflow through your registers.
- Seal it up: Add caulk or weatherstripping to seal air leaks around doors or windows that may be allowing warm air to come inside.
- A/C Service: Have your air conditioner serviced every year for maximum efficiency and optimal savings.
If you have any questions or need help keeping your home cool this summer, give the experts at Anchor Heating and Air a call - 770-942-2873.