- Commercial Services
Winter is the season in which households typically spend the most to stay comfortable. What many do not realize is that you do not have to spend a lot to stay warm, as long as you know how. Here are some tips so that you can save money and live comfortably during the winter:
Heating and Air
- Keep your fans, including kitchen and bathroom, to a minimum so your heated air stays inside. Make sure they are switched off when not used because they can pull out a surprising amount of air.
- Close your dampers when you aren’t using your fireplace. If you use your fireplace regularly, consider upgrading it to one that pulls out less heat from your home.
- Turn down your thermostat or use an automatic thermostat to adjust the temperature for you. You can knock 3-5% off your bills for each degree lowered, which is why most recommend that you set your thermostat to 65 degrees to save money and stay comfortable.
- For those that use furnaces, close vents and doors to unused rooms.
- Change your air filter monthly and regularly check for duct leaks.
- Keep your garage door and crawlspace doors shut.
- Open your drapes and blinds during the warmer hours of the day so that the sun can help warm your home. Remember to close them for the colder hours.
- Install a low flow showerhead and save up to two gallons of water every minute. This is especially useful for those that can’t resist long showers during the cold weather.
- By lowering your water heater’s temperature to 120 degrees Fahrenheit, you can save a lot of money and energy. You can also install a water heater jacket and insulate your water pipes for a greener winter.
- Only run your dishwasher and washing machine when you have full loads to save on your water bill.
For more tips or maintenance, call (770) 942-2873.