- Commercial Services
How would you like to see lower utility bills this summer? We’re guessing you said yes—not many people would say no to keeping money in their wallet! Take a look at five easy ways you can decrease your energy usage this summer and keep those monthly bills as low as possible.
- When the temperature is hot, keep all doors and windows closed and all shades drawn. Not only will your house heat up if you have open windows during the day, but if you are running the air, your air conditioning system will have to work extra hard to cool your home—leaving you with substantially higher energy bills. Keeping your curtains closed with the sun is beaming down on the home, will help insulate some of that heat coming into your house.
- Keep your thermostat set at 78 degrees or higher when you are sleeping or out of the home. Just raising your set temperature can save 3-5% on your power bills.
- If possible, avoid doing chores or activities that can raise the temperature of the home during the day. Instead, wait until the evening hours when it starts to cool down outside. This will keep your air conditioner from working extra hard to keep your home cool while you are running the dishwasher, cooking, or doing laundry.
- If you are using a window air conditioning unit, make sure that it is the correct size and has been installed properly. If the cool air is escaping out the window, you are going to see a jump on your power bills.
- Turn off all lights and appliances when you leave the room. Don’t forget your computer, which uses a substantial amount of energy even when it is not in use.
We hope these tips will be helpful to you as you take steps to decrease your energy usage this summer. If you have any other tips, stop by our Facebook page and share with us and our online community—we would love to hear from you!
For more information about Anchor Heating and Air Conditioning, the services we offer, or to schedule an appointment—give us a call at (770) 942-2873 or contact us online. We are standing by to help you with all of your heating and air conditioning needs!