Now that the warm weather is upon us, here are some tips to remind you how to save money while living comfortably at home:
- Close your blinds during the warmer hours of the day to prevent the sun from heating your home.
- During the cooler hours of the day, run your attic fan or window cooling units. In addition to cheaply cooling your home, this helps pull in fresh air which is good for decreasing the buildup of allergens in your living space.
- Utilizing your ceiling fans is a great alternative to lowering your thermostat; the fans don’t use up as much power and you can simply switch them off when you leave the room or if you become too cold.
- Eating cold snacks and drinking cold or iced beverages can make you feel cooler without having to touch the thermostat.
- If you have older cooling equipment, think about getting a newer, more efficient cooling system or transitioning to a geothermal system. Over time, having an efficient cooling system can save you money in making your home more comfortable.
- Do not constantly change your thermostat’s settings, especially if your home constantly becomes too hot or cold; a fluctuating thermostat can become rather costly. Instead, adhere to a constant temperature to save more money. Just remember, the lower your thermostat is set, the more money you will have to spend every month.
- Make sure your cooling system is functioning properly and fix any problems with your equipment. Minor problems can become serious, which tend to be much more expensive to repair.