- Commercial Services
If you thought mold only took up residence in your shower, you are wrong. It is definitely drawn to areas where there is moisture, but it can also be floating invisibly throughout your house. Since mold can trigger serious health risks to you and your family, it’s important to keep it out. Here are 4 tips to naturally remove and prevent the fungus from invading your home.
1. DRY, CLEAN AIR IS BEST
Since mold thrives in water, the first step in killing it is to remove the moisture as often as possible. Ventilation fans are helpful in bathrooms, but opening a window can also help air it out. Invest in a dehumidifier and place in areas where moisture is at its worst. Make sure to change your HVAC filters often so they can do their job of purifying the air and catching mold spores.
White vinegar is an effective natural cleaner attacking about 82% of mold spores, bacteria and viruses on infected surfaces. Pour into a spray bottle without diluting it and spray onto surface. Let the solution settle for a few minutes up to a few hours before scrubbing it off with a brush. Vinegar is also effective to help prevent future mold from growing. Apply it regularly onto surfaces most affected without rinsing it off.
3. BAKING SODA
If you are looking for a more mild and gentle cleaner, baking soda is odorless and better for sensitive noses. You can use it on its own or mix with vinegar. Apply to the infected surface, let it settle and then wipe clean. Multiple applications may be necessary since it’s a gentler cleaner.
4. CHECK THE SURFACE
If these tips don’t rid of the problem, you may have an issue on the surface. If mold is found around tile and grout, they may not be properly sealed. Clean the area and then reseal the surface to prevent further problems.
Mold can definitely be a nuisance and even a health concern. If you clean infected areas often and keep things dry you will have a better chance of getting this pest out of your home.
For more information regarding how Anchor Heating and Air Conditioning can help keep you, your family and your home healthy, give us a call at (770) 942-2873.